Thursday, October 17, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Spits Nelson - "I'm Great"


With Spits Nelson's latest album Closer Than You Think dropping a week ago tomorrow I wanted this week to be all about him and his music in a way. I knew that I wanted to make my Throwback this week one of his tracks as I listened to his new album last week and started thinking of when I first started writing about his material and listening to the artist known as Spits Nelson. My goal was to take a different approach to Throwback Thursday this week and I think I accomplished just that with this weeks Throwback offering when I asked for a bit of hands on help from the Throwback artist himself Spits Nelson. I asked Spits to pick a song of his and give me the meaning and I would take it from there, and he did just that. The song Spits chose was his Korona-produced track "I'm Great" from his Open It Up EP and he had this so say about the track, 
"When I wrote this song I was thinking about everything that happened in my life and the things that made me who I am today. At the time I was living in Boston and Korona was studying abroad so he emailed me the beat and I immediately felt the vibe and wrote to it. I wanted to make something that people could listen to in the morning as their theme music for a good ass day while still giving my lyrical commentary."  
When I found out who Spits Nelson was just a mere couple of years ago I remember wanting to know his background and searching for anything I could find on him. Listening to this same exact track and just thinking about the ammunition that he had as someone who was only beginning and now time has brought us to Closer Than You Think, what a journey it has been and will only continue to be.



                                                                                                            XO

No comments:

Post a Comment