Wednesday, October 30, 2013

J Cole Take Us Back and Brings Us To Present


I think if I had to choose a rapper to be best friends with there would be a few at the top of my list and although Drake is my number one stunna, J Cole would be lottery pick. The reasoning is not because Jermaine is from the same state as myself but more so because he is just a real kind of guy. In this next clip you will see what kind of dude the Fayetteville North Carolina native really is and how the Roc Nation rapper dealt with his own struggles while making his number 1 album "Born Sinner" and the beautiful thing it became.

"I definitely consider myself  an underdog. I always was in the underdog position just being from Fayetteville North Carolina coming to New York City the odds is against me. I got a long way to go and I know that, but I am not going to stop until they give me my props. Ultimately happiness is the most important thing and the pure happiness I think is finding happiness with yourself how you are." 

"Once you get a deal it's certain adjustment that you got to make and some people survive and make it through it and some people don't. So I spent awhile, I spent a couple mixtapes and an album working on that balancing act and trying to find the same comfort I had in that bedroom, I had to refind that comfort in the studio or on the record label. I'm just like anybody else I got insecurities and stuff that I'm self conscious about . I haven't felt insecure since I was seventeen eighteen as I became a man I became more secure about those things. Until you get in the public spot light and people say things about you. I know, I know what's going on up here I am not worried about that so let me use that as a way to empower other people."

"Just recording the album period I had a lot of moments that let me know I was on the right track. Things that like were too perfect to be coincidences I don't believe in coincidences I believe everything that happens for a reason. So "Crooked Smile" just one song had so many of those moments, even the way I made the hook. There was some random girl that I'd never met before in my life that was at the elevator in the studio, she played me some music right on the spot. It was good her voice was unique and the writing was great, so I was like "yo I am working on a song right now would you hear it and see if you could write something too". She was like "yea sure". So I play her the song on my headphones but I hear her start humming melodies and right away I got chills, like oh. We hash out the melodies and put words to them and next thing you know I got a hook to "Crooked Smile" when I didn't even know where it was going to come from, and it just appeared to me like that."

'When you hear the album it starts off real dark as the album progresses it turns a little lighter. The reason why that is it's just a metaphor for getting out of a dark place, out of a depression, out of hell, trying to make it to heaven, and trying to make it to happiness. That just represents what I was going through and "Crooked Smile" serves as like a theme song of that second half of the album."

'My motivation for my life an rhymes, three words "Touch The People"."


That is the reason why.
                                         XO




No comments:

Post a Comment