Thursday, September 26, 2013

Throwback Thursday With A New School Twist: The Notorious B.I.G. feat. MA$E & P. Diddy - "Mo Money Mo Problems" & Drake "Worst Behavior"

I think that all songs made and created by Biggie even when they featured other artists were and are classics, and will continue to be classics. He was not just your ordinary rapper/hip hop artist, he was a trailblazer who made way for the hip hop artists of today. Even today when people ask me who my favorite Hip Hop artists are Biggie is in that group, he will continue to be in that group because I loved the artist that he was and what he represented. His "Mo Money Mo Problems" was one of those classics with a sample from Diana Ross' song "I'm Coming Out" the track enlisted features from Ma$e and Biggie's sidekick P. Diddy, along with vocals being sang by Kelly Price. To this very day because of airplay and chart achievement "Mo Money Mo Problems" is said to be one of the most popular songs in Hip Hop history. Biggie's lyrics still play in my head sometimes and when a rapper in today's time bites on a lyric from an old hip hop song I almost always catch it, the way I did as I was listening to Drake's new album Never Was The Same on track number six "Worst Behavior" when he bit Mase's lyric from "Mo Money Mo Problems". 
Mase's lyric in verse 1 of "Mo Money Mo Problems was "Now, who's hot, who not?, Tell me who rock, who sell out in the stores?, You tell me who flopped, who copped the blue drop?, Whose jewels got rocks, who's mostly Dolce down, To the tube sock? The same old pimp Mase, you know ain't nothing change but my limp, Can't stop till I see my name on a blimp."
Drake's lyric in verse 3 of "Worst Behavior" was "Who's hot, who not, Tell me who rock, who sell out in stores, You tell me who flop, who copped the new drop, Whose jewels got rocks, who else makin' rap albums, Doing numbers like it's pop? Same old pimp, Drake you know ain't nothing changed with these funny style niggas, We done put on in the game."
That is what happened when Drake bit the lyric from Mase's lyrics in "Mo Money Mo Problems", the epic verse three of "Worst Behavior" was created and Drake killed it as usual.  Drizzy's new new album Nothing Was The Same falls nothing short of greatness wrapped inside of 15 tracks. This is what happens when Throwback Thursday meets with the new for a New School Twist.
Side Note: Just a little lesson on Drake he once named Loon and Mase as two artists he wanted to sound like when he first entered the industry, and the only other artist that he knew of who ever sighted Mase as an inspiration was Kanye. What a coincidence that he bit Mase's verse :) !!!!

                                                                  XO

No comments:

Post a Comment