Thursday, May 2, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Kris Kross - "Jump" (R.I.P. Chris Kelly)

Throwback Thursday's are something that I look forward to because I get to play old school music or songs that are a few years old, and I usually try to pick songs that I know Hip Hop fans will love or music fans in general will love. This particular Thursday it is something different for me when I chose Kris Kross' 1992 hit "Jump" from their debut album Totally Krossed Out, it was when I chose the song that I realized that there is so much new music out there that we rarely pay attention to artists whom actually paved the way for Hip Hop and artists in today's day and time . If it weren't for groups and artists like Kris Kross, A Tribe Called Quest, KRS One, Run DMC, and even artists before their time I think Hip Hop would have been drained or even dead at this point. We should really know the importance of Hip Hop past and how the present and future was and is being shaped by Hip Hop from years ago. However, the main reasoning behind today's Throwback was because Hip Hop lost a legend yesterday as Chris Kelly (aka Mac Daddy) who was one-half of the group Kris Kross passed away. He was a backwards clothes wearing teenage kid and lyrical protege who had a love for Hip Hop that began at a young age who had left a solid foundation for music behind. As I chose this song I wanted to make sure that Throwback Thursday embodied what it really stands for in the first place and that is taking you back to music before what we now know from the Drake's, J. Cole's, Lil Wayne's, 2 Chainz, Kendrick Lamar's, and Rick Ross' of the game. I wanted it to be a real Throwback classic and also represent the legacy that Chris Kelly and the group Kris Kross has left behind. They left behind Hip Hop and Rap of their generation but they also blazed the trail for Hip Hop and rap for this generation. Without any further ado I give you Kris Kross' hit "Jump" from the groups Totally Krossed Out album, that actually landed the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for eight weeks.



                                                                            XO

No comments:

Post a Comment