Thursday, August 16, 2012

Throwback Thursday : Bone Thugs-n-Harmony


As I pick my Throwback Thursday song every week I try to make it a song that is definitely a song from the past and makes a statement about the growth that hip hop has had, but that music has made also. This weeks Throwback Thursday did not come to me as weeks passed had came to me, instead I had to really dig for this one. I went back to when I was first I introduced to hip hop and I remembered a friend of mine who always listened to Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and remembered how I came to like them myself. They were a group that took hip hop to new ventures as far as sound and the way they produced rap in a harmonic pace. That is why this week the melodic Bone Thugs-n-Harmony clinches my Throwback Thursday spot with there 1996 song “Tha Crossroads”. The song was originally named “Crossroad” but was remade as a dedication song to the group’s mentor and late rap icon Easy E after he died of complications from the AIDS virus and was renamed “Tha Crossroads”. The original song “Crossroad” appears on the edited version of BTNH’s E. 1999 Eternal while both the original and the remade version appear on the European release. The song is performed by four of the group’s members Krayzie Bone, Layzie Bone, Bizzy Bone, and Wish Bone and was slower than the group’s usual fast tempo rhymes while also eliminating profanity and creating a heartfelt effect. The song was a hit worldwide and has been certified 2 times platinum and won a Grammy Award in 1997.

                                                                    XO

No comments:

Post a Comment