Thursday, January 16, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Biz Markie - "Just A Friend" , Mario - "Just A Friend", & Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake "History of Rap" Part 2

I do believe this is my first Throwback Thursday of the new year, how exciting! Today I deliver an oldie but a goodie and the reasoning behind my Throwback choice is all for the simple fact that someone I know got the words stuck in my head as they were singing "Oh baby you....Got what I need...But you say I'm just a friend". I asked them why they were singing "Just A Friend" because both the remake and original was old. This person's response was "Oh Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake sang it on Jimmy's show while they were performing "The History of Rap". First and foremost I giggled because of who it actually was singing this oldie but goodie song and secondly I was thinking only if this person really knew the actual history of this song. 
So today for Throwback Thursday I will school everyone on "Just A Friend". The original track "Just A Friend" was a 1989 classic performed by none other than rapper, DJ, beat boxer, singer, and comedian to name a few of his resume talents Biz Markie. The track originally peaked at #9 on the Billboards making it Biz Markie's most successful song to date. Biz's song derives from the 1968 song "You Got What I Need" performed and written by Freddie Scott. Moving to almost present day but 12 years ago R&B singer Mario recreated Biz Markie's one hit wonder hit "Just A Friend" with his very own touches making an even bigger hit on the charts peaking at #4. Though the two songs of Biz and Mario are that of the same name they are also rather different at the same time. Biz Markie's track "Just A Friend" was referring to his cheating girlfriend and Mario's track "Just A Friend" was about a one sided love interest, my how times have changed. bringing us to today you have a Late Night talk show host and a Pop and R&B superstar Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake giving you a little taste of rap music of the past and present with their performances of the "History of Rap" leaving "Just A Friend" embedded into peoples minds to sing the whole day through. Take a peek and listen as one song transcends through time to the present. 



                                                   XO

No comments:

Post a Comment